The JDSU agile optical components family includes modulators, switches, attenuators and tunable filters. These products provide the basis for spectrally efficient DWDM transmission utilizing dispersion tolerant modulation, channel monitoring, wavelength switching, remote power control and dynamic channel selection. They support a wide range of flexible functionalities at lower operational expenses for the agile optical network (AON). In addition, JDSU offers a complete line of tunable lasers assemblies and subassemblies in our agile transmission module family.
JDSU microelectromechanical systems (MEMS) variable optical attenuators (MATT) focus on key network optical power management applications. JDSU offers MEMS attenuators in normally open and normally closed states. The MATT series attenuators fully comply with the Telcordia 1221 reliability program. Key features include small size, low wavelength dependent loss (WDL), and high reliability. JDSU provides three package options: DIL MATT, TO MATT, and Micro MATT.
The MEMS attenuator design achieves highly repeatable optical attenuation over C and/or L bands through a thermally-actuated reflective vane that intercepts light. Applied power/voltage actuates the vane and translates in and out of the light beam. In a closed-loop mode with constantly applied electrical power/voltage, the MEMS attenuator achieves excellent performance over a wide temperature range and in a variety of environmental conditions. DIL MATTs include an internal temperature sensor of which can be used to compensate for the temperature dependent performance of accurate open-loop operation.
- Low polarization dependence
- Insensitive to vibration and electrostatic discharge (ESD)
- Extremely low wavelength dependence over C and/or L bands
- Mulitiple devices easily packaged into common housing
- Available in both normally open and normally closed states
- Available in three different packages
- Power equalization in multi-channel, optically amplified networks
- Gain-tilt control in erbium doped fiber amplifiers (EDFAs)
- Power control into narrowband wavelength division multiplexers (WDMs) and configurable networks
- Photoreceiver trimming
- Receiver protection/switch during transmitter turn-ons
- Telcordia 1209 and 1221
- MIL-STD 883 (GR-1221) conditions vibration test (insensitive to 20 g peak acceleration)
- MIL-STD 883 (500 V) ESD test conditions