Discontinued | Currently Supported
July 27, 2015
The Validator™ offers a complete solution to test and speed certify the data-carrying capabilities of Ethernet network cables up to 1 Gb/s by testing for noise in the network, detecting faults in the cabling wiring, and ensuring that cables are able to support the speed capabilities of active equipment. The Validator can be used as a cost-effective alternative to full TIA/ISO cable certification in environments where ensuring cable runs support Ethernet speeds up to Gigabit Ethernet is adequate.
To certify Ethernet speed performance of cable runs, the Validator conducts Bit Error Rate (BER) tests by sending data packets down specified cable runs at defined data rates to check for errors at the maximum throughput of the link. The Validator also reports on signal quality that can impact high-speed data transmission by measuring signal-to-noise ratio (SNR). Skew measurements report on the signal time delay between pairs that can impact Ethernet data transmission. Finally, the Validator provides continuity testing that detects opens, shorts, miswires, split pairs, reversals, and high-resistance faults while accurately measuring distance to faults and total cable length.
Validator includes the powerful Plan-Um® planning and reporting software for planing network architectures and organizing cable information and test results. Plan-Um helps set up each job, defines scope of the job, aids in testing cable runs, and produces reports for the installer and customer. The Network Tools feature provides a quick view to see the network architecture and a way to document moves, adds, and changes. Used in conjunction with Plan-Um, Validator provides confidence in the physical properties of cable runs and the overall capability of the network.
JDSU also offers the ValidatorPRO series of Ethernet network management tools. The ValidatorPRO-NT, Cu includes active network tests such as PoE, Port Discovery and Ping. The ValidatorPRO and ValidatorPRO-NT both provide an integrated optical power meter. The ValidatorPRO-NT extends the range of active network tests to include WiFi (802.11 b/g/n).
- Conducts Bit Error Rate (BER) testing to speed certify Ethernet data transmission speed up to 1000BASE-T (1 Gb/s)
- Measures Signal-to-Noise Ratio and Skew to uncover impairments to Ethernet data transmission
- Tests for opens, shorts, split pairs, miswires, and reversals and measures distance to opens and shorts—supports all network, telco, and coax cables
- Identifies cable termination on active Ethernet ports with hub flash
- Includes Plan-Um® software to create network layout, document cable tests, show network topology, and record moves, adds, and changes
- Verify proper operation of Ethernet cable runs
- Certify speed capability of cable runs to support 10/100/1000 Mb/s Ethernet applications
- Document network topology including moves, adds, and changes