Note: V3.8 is the firmware release for non-XT DSAM models ONLY. This firmware update release addresses bug fixes for non-XT DSAM models.
For XT DSAM models, refer to the “Download” tab on the DSAM Digital Service Activation Meter
web page for information about downloading firmware version 4.0 or higher. If your DSAM is an XT version, it will be indicated on the brow label above the DSAM screen (see circled portion of label shown below).
DSAM 3.8 firmware brings support for StrataSync asset management software. This release also contains improvements to the Home Certification tests.
- StrataSync Enabled1 (For more information please visit the StrataSync website)
- JDSU hosted cloud-based asset, configuration, and test data management application for DSAM and other JDSU instruments
- Manages inventory, test results, and performance data anywhere with browser-based ease and improve technician and instrument efficiency
- Ensure all instruments have the latest software and options installed
- Instant access to the latest content from JDSU, including release notes and training material
- Home Certification enhancements
- SmartScan mode added
- Auto-Save Prompt upon test completion
- Customizable Limit Names (Set in TPP v5.0 and pushed to DSAM)
- Automatic File Purge for files already synched to TPP
1 Subscription to StrataSync required for configuration and test data management and for firmware upgrades
Addressed in this Update
Indication of modulator induced phase noise in level mode
Spur hop in NTSC Channel 6 for DOCSIS 2.0 Hardware
DOCSIS 3 command line vulnerability bug fix
Folder file purge handled on DSAM
Annex A adjacent analog channel DQI interference
DOCSIS3.0 backoff timer is now correctly ignoring the random backoff request
FDM-100 is not compatible for this DSAM firmware release. You must use TPP v4.7 (or higher) AND it is highly recommended that TPP be upgraded to the latest version 4.8 or 5.0 prior to upgrading non XT DSAM firmware to version 3.8.
TPP Administrators: please pay attention to the DSAM upgrade instructions below.
DSAM Firmware upgrade support:
DSAM 3.8 for non-XT (original) meters:
- Deployable by TPP 4.8 and higher.
- TPP 4.8 and higher will not list (or allow selection) of any XT meters for deployment.
- This protects the customer from damaging their meter with the wrong firmware.
- Only exists as a ZIP file (no separate XML file)
- TPP 4.6 will not allow browsing to the DSAM 3.8 firmware, since there is no external XML file to find.
- If the XML file is extracted from the upgrade ZIP file and you attempted to use this for upgrade, you will get an error message and be prevented from deploying the firmware
DSAM Meter Option and BPI+ Certificate deployment support:
- All versions of these files (always with an XML and ZIP file pair) will be deployable by any version of TPP.
If you are using an older version of Test Productivity Pack please refer to the TechComplete™ Test Productivity Pack (TPP) download web page or contact your sales representative or the Technical Assistance Center (TAC) for upgrade information.
To maximize upgrade reliability, please upgrade your DSAM on networks that have reliable connections, minimal network congestion, and no restricting firewalls. In the case where you feel the IP or RF networks have intermittent reliability or you have experienced upgrade failures, we recommend that a direct laptop connection or Ethernet connection be used.
Please read the following instructions and follow them step-by-step.
- Connect your DSAM to the charger to provide a consistent power supply during the upgrade.
- Synchronize each DSAM to be upgraded to the Test Productivity Pack via the Ethernet port to verify proper configuration and communications. Firmware upgrades require the DSAM to be connected via the Ethernet port.
- Avoid upgrading more than 10 meters at a time per TPP server. If your server is connected via a connection less than 10 Mbps, for example to a cable modem with a 384k upstream, you should limit your DSAM upgrades/synchronizations to 4 at a time.
- Download the upgrade zip file. Save file by right clicking on it and Select "Save Target as..." or "Save Link as..."
o Firmware file: v3_8.zip
- Launch TPP 4.8 thick client or log in TPP 5.0 web client and go to "manage meter assets" page.
- Ensure that the DSAM(s) you are upgrading appear in the Meter Assets list, specified by serial number. If they are not on the list, you must add the DSAM(s) and synchronize them before you proceed to the next step.
- In the "meter management tasks" sidebar on the left of the manage meter assets page, click on "upgrade meters".
- On the upgrade meters page, click "browse" and select the downloaded .zip file from the location you saved it to, in step 4 of this list. Then click "open".
- The list of meter(s) that can be upgraded should now be displayed on this page. If there is no list, please review the previous steps or contact Technical Assistance Center (TAC) at the number below for further assistance. Ensure that only the meter(s) that you wish to upgrade are checked. De-select those meters you do not wish to upgrade.
- Click the "done" button in the bottom right corner.
- Synchronize the DSAM(s) with TPP.
- After the meter has rebooted, verify the upgrade is successful. Check the "manage meter assets" page, sync "Status" column, and ensure the most recent sync is OK, and check the "FW Version" to see that it is v3.8.
- If the meter reboots to a screen that says “Upgrade was not completed, press soft key 1 to retry the upgrade” you should repeat steps 7 to 10 and re-deploy the upgrade BEFORE pressing the key to re-synchronize.
- If you have any issues after re-trying to synchronize, please contact TAC at the number below.
- Congratulations! The latest DSAM firmware has now been installed!
For Languages other than English, Spanish, French and German you may choose to update your meter with any of the languages listed below:
Chinese License file: v3_8_chinese_upgrade.zip
Polish License file: v3_8_polish_upgrade.zip
Hungarian License file: v3_8_hungarian_upgrade.zip
Japanese License file: v3_8_japanese_upgrade.zip
Korean License file: v3_8_korean_upgrade.zip
Brazilian Portuguese file: v3_8_portuguese_upgrade.zip
For DSAM users wishing to use Euro PacketCable™ with the DSAM:
The DSAM is capable of operating on Euro PacketCable VoIP networks; however, the DSAM must be configured with the appropriate PacketCable build and may be configured via a TPP update. The update completes in around 5 to 6 minutes and does require the meter to be setup like a firmware upgrade with TPP and the meter must synchronize over Ethernet and remain plugged into the charger. Upgrade the DSAM to the v3_3_x_Euro files when the Euro PacketCable standard is required.
Again moving forward only the .zip file is required for the upgrade between PacketCable standards to complete correctly:
If you have any questions about when or why you would use this upgrade please contact TAC at the number below.
If you have any order related questions regarding the FDM or TPP PC software, please contact the JDSU Customer Care Center at:
- 1-866-228-3762 - United States
- +1 317-614-8311 - Worldwide
- E-mail the Customer Care Center for the Americas at firstname.lastname@example.org
For technical assistance please contact the JDSU Technical Assistance Center (TAC) at: