Components for undersea cable deployment must adhere to stringent quality and reliability requirements to ensure that they operate, without failure, for a minimum lifespan of 25 years. With the broadest product portfolio and largest installed base in the industry, JDSU is a longtime leader in supplying high-reliability, erbium-doped fiber amplifier (EDFA) components for undersea repeater modules situated every 50-100 km along the cable.
Wet-plant EDFA components for undersea repeaters include:
- 980 nm pump lasers—industry-leading 450 mW rated operating power
- Dual-stage isolators—industry-leading insertion loss and isolation
- PIN detectors—designed for high performance, including high responsivity and low sensitivity to back-reflection and polarization
JDSU also provides the broadest portfolio of terrestrial dry-land fiber optic components for undersea network transmission terminal applications including:
- Modulators—the industry’s broadest range of amplitude and phase modulators for 2.5, 10, and 40 Gbps
- Pump lasers—industry leading 980 nm and Raman pump portfolio featuring high output power and <3 FIT field failure rate
- Tunable lasers and transponders—high-reliability tunable transmission modules for custom channel plans
- Passive components and modules—broad range of component and module level solutions with industry leading performance and reliability
For more information about undersea optical components, modules, and subsystems, send queries to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Our integrated photodiode and Mach-Zehnder (DDMZ) modulators are ideally suited for use in long reach (LR) and very long reach (VR) metro network applications as well as in long haul (LH) transmission systems. DDMZ modulators have been specifically designed to yield well-behaved and matching electro-optic amplitude and phase responses over a broad RF frequency range.
Importantly, as the optical layer extends into the metropolitan and enterprise areas, the JDSU miniaturized line of modulators optimizes board space with a footprint reduced by 70%.
For nearly two decades, JDSU has worked with clients to develop application-specific solutions and many of these solutions, at wavelengths from 800 - 1600 nm, are available as specialty products.
JDSU offers a broad range of pump lasers for optical amplification. The 980 nm products that are used in erbium-doped fiber amplifiers offer operating power levels from 100 mW to 600 mW. The S26 series and S27 series are semi-cooled 45°C laser diode operation, which provides for a significant reduction in TEC and overall power consumption.
The 14xx products that are used in Raman amplification offer operating power up to 450 mW in wavelengths covering the C band. The 4900 Series uncooled multi-mode pump laser provides a 4 W Telcordia-class solution for double-clad fiber amplifiers.
The flexibility enabled by JDSU transponders and lasers is critical to the successful and rapid deployment of next generation, IP-based voice, data and video services. These transmission modules support multiple modulation formats to allow multiple applications, from ultra long haul to metro networks, in a single platform.
Our Widely Tunable Laser Subassemblies (TLSA) are designed for use in DWDM systems where the capability to change wavelength on demand over the entire C- and L-Bands with 25GHz, 33.33GHz or 50 GHz channel spacing is essential.
JDSU offers a wide range of passive components and modules to support customer needs within submarine dry plant applications and throughout the network.